CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL MALAYSIANS: CELEBRATING THE SPRING OF DEMOCRACY
1. The Movement for an Informed Society Malaysia (WADAH) congratulates Malaysians for voting in Pakatan Harapan to form a new government replacing the incumbent Barisan Nasional which has been in power for more than 60 years.
2. This change of government is the first in the history of the nations elections. It was unexpected and surprised many.
3. This shows democracy has matured and bloomed where the change in government is no longer impossible if the people are determined and uphold their right to choose.
4. A two party system competing to form a government in a constitutional democracy is already a new reality for Malaysians.
5. In the swearing in ceremony as the 7th Prime Minister at the Royal Palace yesterday night, Tun Dr Mahathir has created history by becoming the oldest prime minister at the age of 93. He has also made a record in becoming Prime Minister for the second time after a lapse of 15 years after he had left office as the 4th Prime Minister.
6. 9th May 2018 shall be remembered as a sacred day where the people themselves proved that the power and will of the people can never be taken for granted by any ruling government.
7. The victory of Pakatan Harapan means that people yearn and aspire for these:-
i) Justice for all
ii) Ensuring the separation of powers of the legislative, executive and judiciary
iii) Implementing fair and distributive economics transcending and reaching out to all races and ethnicity
iv) Upholding the sovereignty of the constitution.
8. Twenty years has been a long journey for the fight and struggle for reform – ‘Reformasi’. The change in government proves that the struggle was not in vain. The people embraced the spirit of Reformasi and made it triumphant.
9. Islam was made a central issue throughout the elections polemics. WADAH is of the view that the challenge in actualizing Islam as rahmatan lil ‘alamin – a blessing and mercy for mankind – needs a strong commitment for deep understanding among policy makers.
10. WADAH hopes that Dato’ Seri Anwar Ibrahim shall be immediately released from prison to once again breathe the refreshing air of freedom which he had struggled for all these long years. The winning combination and successful pairing of Tun Mahathir dan Dato’ Seri Anwar shall in all confidence bring back the glory of Malaysia like they achieved before this.
11. ALlahu Akbar! ALlahu Akbar! ALlahu Akbar!
AHMAD AZAM AB RAHMAN
WADAH Percerdasan Umat Malaysia/Movement for an Informed Society Malaysia
11 May 2018